Philobiblon: Friday Femmes Fatales No. 48

Friday, March 17, 2006

Friday Femmes Fatales No. 48

"Where are all the female bloggers?" HERE, in my weekly "top ten" - all women bloggers who are new to me. Why "femmes fatales?" Because these are killer posts, selected for great ideas and great writing, general interest and variety.

First up, staying local, and I can't imagine how I've missed this blog for so long, Annie Mole on Going Underground reports on how financial scandal and public figures have been going together for a long time. The post above that has a great collection of fashion victims spotted in the London "metro" system.

Staying with history, Mapletree7 on Book of the Day reviews Jared Diamond's Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

Stopping in to the modern era, the Era of The Blog, Maxine on Petrona looks at what they can, and can't do. She has great hopes for Web 3.0 though, and describes the current state of the blogoverse as "cornucopia", which brings me to On Letting Me Be, with a reflection on the difficulty of making choices.

Now I was talking to a journalist this week about blogging as a political organising tool. I know of a couple of prominent examples, but not as many as I like. Unfortunately I've only just found this great post on Muse and Fury in which Actiongirls, a student and community group based out of the University of Windsor in Southwestern Ontario, Canada expresses their anger, and calls for action against, media violence against women.

Sthreeling on Speaking Feminism in India is meanwhile reflecting on the long-term prevalence of "Eve-teasing", and what needs to be done to finally deal with it. She's speaking at a general level, but Annie on Known Turf, in an enormously powerful post, sets out exactly what the rules of behaviours should be, and the punishments.

Turning theoretical, Joida on Buried Voices reflects on the nature of a patriarchal society and what a truly equal society might look like.

On the personal-practical side, on My Red Passion, Single Mom finds inspiration in a book about women getting serious about money. Nice girls don't get rich, she decides.

Finally, perhaps I should lighten up to finish: "It" on The Golden Notebooks reports what happened when she tried to give away some furniture in New York.

***

If you missed last week's edition, it is here.

***

Please: In the next week if you read, or write, a post by a woman blogger and think "that deserves a wider audience" (particularly someone who doesn't yet get many hits), drop a comment here.

And don't forget, the 11th Carnival of Feminists is coming up next Wedesday on Angry for a Reason. "The themes, if you should choose to accept one of them, are Radical Feminism OR International Feminism." Nominations should be sent to burrowtheklown AT gmail dot com.

6 Comments:

Blogger "ME" Liz Strauss said...

How Fabulous to be called a Friday Femme Fatale. See what happens when you finally choose an option and get going? :)

Thank you for thinking my writing was worth sharing. I think yours is quite something worth reading. I'll be back again--you can count on that!
Liz
Letting me be.

3/18/2006 06:13:00 am  
Blogger Single Ma said...

WOW - I'm honored to be featured in your weekly roundup. I always knew I was fabulous (lol) but being recognized as a Femme Fatale takes it to a whole new level! I love it!! LOL

Thanks for linking to me. I need to check out your blog more often.

3/18/2006 04:17:00 pm  
Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

I too am hounoured, thank you so much for the mention (Petrona).

There are a couple of US blogs I really like and visit regularly -- are you collecting US blogs? One is Sarah Weinman's "Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind" ("crime fiction and more") and the other is Jenny D's "Light Reading".

http://www.sarahweinman.com/confessions/

http://jennydavidson.blogspot.com/

3/18/2006 07:14:00 pm  
Blogger annie mole said...

Cheers Natalie - I'm honoured to get a mention too. Never been called a Femme Fatale before in my life, but in this context I love it!

3/18/2006 07:34:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have not already, spend some quality time reading Crazy Aunt Purl's blog. She is an L.A. Woman going through a divorce and learning to be single and alone again. It is hard to describe - just great writing and lots of knitting!

3/20/2006 05:37:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie, I am flattered that you selected one of my posts. However, I should point out that I am not a woman blogger.

3/20/2006 11:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home