Philobiblon: Memory meme

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Memory meme

I should be sleeping, but after a rough day have been distracted by the excellent meme, via Purple Pen ...

Which authors have you read more than ten books by?

Mine are (or those I can remember thus far, roughly in the order in which I read them) ...

Enid Blyton
Arthur Ransome
Elyne Mitchell (particularly her brumby books. (Brumbies are wild horses.)
Ruby Ferguson (of the "Jill" pony books - more here)
"Jean Blaidy"
Zane Grey (and probably several other writers of Westerners I've now forgotten)
Patrick O'Brian (and probably several writers of war novels of varying eras whose names I've forgotten)
George Macdonald (Yes the Flashman series; I'm bring brutally honest here - and I was only about 13)
Alastair MacLean
James Michener
Agatha Christie
James Herriot
Dick Francis
John Francome
Peter Corris
Sue Grafton
Colleen McCullough
Lindsey Davis
Anne Perry
Dorothy L Sayers
Elizabeth Peters
Kerry Greenwood (on whom I posted here
Marele Day (a rather good Australian writer of feminist detective stories))
Peter Ackroyd

Some more are sure to pop to mind now I've started this ... but obviously the way to sell lots of books is to write long series of detective novels or thrillers, or at least that is what this list would suggest.

And if you haven't got a dog from whom to get a good cuddle, for some Wednesday canine blog comfort check out this pic, from Living in Egypt, a brilliant blog.

8 Comments:

Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Prompted by Media Girl I have to add Isaac Asimov to that list; prompted by The Little Professor Ellis Peters, and by "Moi" commenting on Trish Wilson's Blog John Steinbeck. And there must be more ...

2/19/2005 02:16:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to see Peter Ackroyd on that list!
I have a request to make: since I perpetuated the meme from its originator, A Flickering Light, I've felt awful guilt about how he's not been credited as its source. I do feel like I've broken a rule of Netiquette if I don't go about making a polite request for you to credit him. Hope that's not too impolite!

2/23/2005 02:06:00 am  
Blogger LBH said...

Thanks for reminding me about the brumby books - I read loads of those when I was younger

2/24/2005 02:23:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

No worries Vanessa, I think the source's now credited by your comment.

I've also thought of another addition to the list - Rosemary Sutcliffe, another of those childhood stalwarts. I remember being particularly attached to her story about a crippled boy in Iron Age Europe who has to kill a wolf(?) to become a man and no one, including he, thinks he can, and he is a social outcast, but eventually he does ... Can anyone name it?

2/27/2005 11:37:00 pm  
Blogger LBH said...

Warrior Scarlet. I loved that one too.

2/28/2005 12:28:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Yep, now you say that I can even picture the cover. (One of the few things in my life I regret is selling and disposing of about two-thirds of my books when I decided that I was leaving Australia for good - if you are thinking about it: don't do it! Even if the shipping is a fortune it is worth it to keep your past.)

2/28/2005 01:52:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

And how could I forget PD James ...

3/06/2005 07:26:00 pm  
Blogger Allison said...

What?! No Carolyn Keene?

Are you counting Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels/Barbara Mertz as the same person? If so, she'd make my list. Also:

Orson Scott Card
Arthur Conan Doyle
CS Lewis
Jane Austen
Shakespeare
Anne Perry
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Lemony Snicket
Stephen King

I know I'll think of more, but I'm stuck for now.

10/07/2005 03:05:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home