Philobiblon: Whew: One website down, two to go

Friday, November 04, 2005

Whew: One website down, two to go

Finally I've finished updating the 50-odd pages of my personal website.

When I looked at many of them, and realised that I'd last touched them nearly six years ago, they haven't done too badly in remaining more or less readable for that long. (It is really only in the last couple of months that I've started to get complaints.)

That's particularly considering that I wrote the whole website on a free-on-the-front-of-computer-mag editor (Hotdog), and with Teach Yourself HTML beside me. (There was a lot of superfluous HTML in there!) And I then didn't understand what I was doing with sub-directories or FTP, or anything else really; this was the trial and error method of web design. (Which is not to say that I really do now.)

(There's no need, generally, to update the content, since it is primarily reports and other material that I've written in the past but that may still be of use to researchers now.)

Next up is my professional site, due to go live at the end of next week. (For which I've already done the main page design, and since it will only be half a dozen or so pages no big deal.)

Then there's the other little semi-commercial project. Revamping the personal site has taught me one important lesson - with a significant number of pages, you REALLY don't want to be updating the design by hand, page by page.

So while I see it more as a website - with new pages being added every day or so and an updating front page - I'm thinking about using Typepad, so a blog-type setup. Any comments on this idea - pro or con - most welcome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love websites that are run on a blog format - though I would recommend WordPress

11/04/2005 11:11:00 am  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Thanks for the help!
I Googled MT versus Wordpress for comparison and it seems the general verdict is that Wordpress is the way to go. And I've found that Blogsome is a WordPress-based freebie, so I'm going to start out with that and see how I go.

11/04/2005 11:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home