Philobiblon: Celebrating history blogging

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Celebrating history blogging


Two reasons to celebrate.

First, the immediate: History Carnival No 19 is now up on (A)musings of a Grad Student. And a lovely crop it is too (And I'm not just saying that 'cause I did quite well on the links - thanks!)

I was particularly taken with the application of one of my academic heros, Bourdieu, to the understanding of the history of sexuality. Warning, however, the post is theory-rich.

If you'd prefer a nice "we'lll all be murdered in our beds" crime scare, the host provides this one - except unfortunately for the Daily Mail 'tis from the 17th century.

And finally, while it is too late in the night for me to apply my mind to the French, just check out the gorgeous illustrations in a post on Christine de Pizan.

The second reason, the announcement of the first annual Cliopatra History Blogging Awards.



"Final selections will made by panels of history bloggers and announced in conjunction with the American Historical Association Annual Meeting in early January.
Categories: Best Group Blog; Best Individual Blog; Best Newcomer; Best Post; Best Series of Posts; Best Writing."


And yes, I have a role in a couple of the judging panels - looking forward to finding some exciting new blogs; unfortunately I don't think an airfare to the conference is included in the judges' fees.

4 Comments:

Blogger air said...

Hi Natalie,

I'm glad you liked my post on Bourdieu. I feel like I'm stretching him, or at least Distinction, to its absolute limit in order to get at what I wanted. Do you think I've warped Bourdieu too much? I'd appreciate your thoughts since I've been worrying about it as I thought about how I could use him.

air

11/01/2005 11:15:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

I'd better preface my comments by saying I'm an enthusiast for Bourdieu rather than an expert - the last serious study I made was several years ago.

But I don't think you overstretched him in general anyway (can't really comment on specific texts). In fact I was only thinking around your comment that it may be in 100 years' time he (or someone with a similar schema from about the same time - historical fame can of course be a funny thing) may be regarded as a thinker of serious significance; the person who developed an analytical technique to fuse Marx and Weber with theories of individual agency.

11/02/2005 01:02:00 am  
Blogger air said...

Well, if it makes you feel more confident of Bourdieu's continued influence, familiarity with him seems to be fairly encouraged here at Michigan.

11/02/2005 06:17:00 am  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Thanks - I was thinking I was leaving myself rather open there - nice to know I have serious academic backing!

11/02/2005 02:24:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home