Philobiblon: So.... The Da Vinci Code

Friday, April 01, 2005

So.... The Da Vinci Code

Well I've read The Da Vinci Code and it seems like a bog-standard airport novel thriller with the addition of a couple of days of library research and occasional reference to a Lonely Planet Europe guide or similar. Presumably it got a fair bit of promotion when it came out, but why it has developed into a phenomenon is utterly beyond me.

Posting may be non-existent for the next few days since Castle Towers shopping centre, in the far north-western suburbs of Sydney, despite having more opportunities for consumer frenzy than you would think possible, has only one public internet machine. I guess you are supposed to buy a computer instead.

6 Comments:

Blogger Badaunt said...

I think you'll probably enjoy Language Log's review(s) of Da Vinci Code:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001628.html

(I haven't read the book. Someone offered it to me a couple of days after I'd read the review, and I passed.)

4/01/2005 06:16:00 am  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

True. If you could write to the formula, and get a publisher to give you the promotion, then you could later write proper stuff.

4/02/2005 03:09:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very true - i thought the actual writing was less than inspiring (or captivating). the research into the secret society was the best (and only) good part.
of course my medical DaVinci code post (i think you read it) sucked too!

4/02/2005 07:21:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

I'm not sure there's anything new about litereary trash. Having just been in the bookshop I note the latest Wilbur Smith is out - the display takes up half the window. He's been around for donkeys years and could be the definition of low standards.

4/04/2005 07:17:00 am  
Blogger Heartcrossings said...

Without wanting to sound petty, I do believe that in the time of www anyone that can string a couple of sentences together has a decent shot at becoming a writer of consequence. There is so much to cut and paste from that a distinctive thought turns irrelvant. Da Vinci Code is a case in point.

4/05/2005 01:19:00 am  
Blogger Kel-Bell said...

Hi,

I would like to generate some discussion on the topic of The Holy Grail.

I cordially invite you to drop by my blog and comment.
If you feel my thoughts are worthy to share, please pass it on.

http://kelleybell.blogspot.com/2005/08/davinci-code.html

Thanks, from me and all the women of the world,

Kelley Bell

8/24/2005 05:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home