Philobiblon: A festive season present

Sunday, December 19, 2004

A festive season present

You're allowed a little fantasy in mid-winter, I think, all those long dark nights and peering into the flickering flames, so enjoy this one from the New York Times.

A Not So Wonderful Life
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: December 19, 2004

EXTERIOR BRIDGE OVER POTOMAC RIVER - NIGHT

CLOSE SHOT - Rummy is standing by the railing, staring morosely into the water. The snow is falling hard. Feeling a tap on his shoulder, he wheels around and wrestles an old man with wings into a headlock.

OLD MAN: Ouch! Tut, tut. When will you learn that force doesn't solve everything?

RUMMY: Who the dickens are you?

OLD MAN: Clarence, Angel First Class. I've been sent down to help you.

RUMMY, squinting: You're off your nut, you old fruitcake. You can't help me. I was a matinee idol in this town, a studmuffin. Now everyone's turned on me - Trent Lott, Chuck Hagel and that dadburn McCain.

CLARENCE: No more self-pity, son. I'm going to show you what the world would have been like if you'd never been born ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home