Philobiblon: Quick techie question

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Quick techie question

The fact that blogger has been slow, and sometimes stopped, over the past couple of days - I'd have to guess due to a surge of post-election feeling - has made me (somewhat belatedly I admit) think about backups. I note from my profile that I'm past the 25,000 words mark, and the blog now contains lots of research that it would be a real pain to replicate. Does anyone know of a simple, easy way of backing up a blog on to a CD, or into a file that you could post to yourself, or similar?
TIA

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether you can do that with Blogger: check the Help section and see if it says anything about archiving. (I don't remember anything from when I was using Blogger, though...) The problem with Blogger is not so much the risk of losing stuff altogether once it's published; I think it's pretty safe (although what if they went bust? or simply had a big server crash or a virus or a hacker or something?): it's the difficulty of getting things published in the first place... I remember losing at least one post after hitting the publish button and I was really pissed off. It was one of the reasons I moved on to more advanced software (and when I pop back into Blogger now I get so impatient hanging around waiting for it to do its thing...).

Sharon

11/06/2004 06:59:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

You're right - and I could have checked the help files first, although I'm the sort of person who only reads a manual after all else fails ...

There is an incredibly complicated sounding set of directions at
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=130&query=backup&topic=&type=f
which I guess I should try to follow soon.

11/06/2004 11:55:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home