Philobiblon: Joining the carnival

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Joining the carnival

The second Early Modern Bloggers carnival is in full swing over at Houyhnhnm Land - an informal, BYO occasion. (Mine's now a nice little French rose). On the carnival yours truly has a modest little stall.
The site that most interested me was The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci, by which you can get a daily dose of the great man.

A sample from page 4:
"Begun at Florence, in the house of Piero di Braccio Martelli, on the 22nd day of March 1508. And this is to be a collection without order, taken from many papers which I have copied here, hoping to arrange them later each in its place, according to the subjects of which they may treat. But I believe that before I am at the end of this [task] I shall have to repeat the same things several times; for which, O reader! do not blame me, for the subjects are many and memory cannot retain them [all] and say: 'I will not write this because I wrote it before.'"

(I know the feeling - I can never remember to whom I have told various anecdotes; I get half-way through a tale and can see from the look in the listener's eye they've heard this one before.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home