Philobiblon: Beware waking up

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Beware waking up

Having personally been known to fall over just after getting out of bed - not over anything, just over - I was reassured by this morning's report that it isn't just me.

A study by scientists at the University of Colorado suggests that the performance of people immediately after waking is as bad as, or worse, than if they were drunk.
The research showed that short-term memory, counting skills and cognitive abilities were impaired in the groggy period, known as sleep inertia.

The serious message is that you really don't want a fireman who's been sleeping called to your house; my conclusion - stay in bed a bit longer; it's obviously healthy.

****

A US take on the decline of newspapers. I don't necessary agree with a lot of what it says - but interesting to get a view from across the pond.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ally said...

If I'm going to drive anywhere, I need at least an hour and several cups of tea between waking up and setting off - I've been known to actually walk in to doors in that waking up period :/. Staying in bed longer is definitely the answer :).

1/11/2006 07:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home