Philobiblon: Today's the day

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Today's the day

After what seems like years of campaigning, we finally get to vote in the British election today. My prediction, for what it is worth, which isn't much, is that Blair will see a significant, but not fatally damaging, loss of seats.

What I'd like to see happen is the Liberal Democrats win the balance of power, or something very close to it, so that some form of proprtional representation would be introduced, making the electoral system a great deal fairer. Under the first past the post system only a tiny percentage of the population really decide the result; the change would make politicians far more representative of the views of the electors.

As for the House of Lords, I have the perfect solution. It has a long democratic pedigree, would not involve a conflict of powers with the Commons, and would produce a delightfully eccentric, interesting body: selection by lot.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Spanish citizen, I can't vote in the general election, but as a resident of Britain, I am very interested in the results.

I don't know what to hope for today. Blair cannot be allowed to get away with the myriad abuses of his power, not the least of which was the freaking Iraq war, but having Howard and the Tories in scares the bejeezus out of me.

And what chance would the Lib Dems have of actually forming a government? I do see Kennedy as the lesser of the 3 evils here, but I don't know if that's saying very much.

Crys T

5/05/2005 10:56:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home