Philobiblon: Friday Femmes Fatales No 51

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Friday Femmes Fatales No 51

Building on my collection of 500 female bloggers - 10 each week. (Yes there are millions out there, this just seeks to highlight a nice range of them and give them a bit of publicity.)

Why "femmes fatales?" Because these are killer posts, selected for great ideas and great writing, general interest and variety.

The Publishing Contrarian, Lynne W. Scanlon P.E.A. (Publisher/Editor/Author), has been to a Harvard power breakfast, and provides an amusing account thereof.

Staying in the literary field, Jenny Davidson on Light Reading discusses a range of books that don't really deserve that title, including one on the place of the public intellectual.

On the Sigla Blog, Sinéad Gleeson ponders public spats between women, and the media's affection therefore, prompted by a row between Sinéad O’Connor and Mary Coughlan.

Turning personal, and coming with a warning that this is a very disturbing post, Jules on Depressed Single Mother commemorates the ninth anniversary of death of "the first person I ever fell in love with". She says: "I know that she really died because her father couldn't keep his filthy hands off his vulnerable, tiny three year old daughter."

Sage on Persephone's Box has a great collection of musings on sexual intercourse, and ignorance thereof among men, and some women. "I also briefly dated a health teacher once who was adamant that menstrual blood is made up of dead embryos. WTF???"

Koonj on HU, a group blog for Muslim women, reports on her victory, as a pregnant, about-to-give-birth woman, over doctors convinced they, not nature, knew best.

On Always Aroused Girl, moving on through the lifecycle, a description of the magic glider on the porch, and its place in soothing a stressed child, or adult.

Ozarque collects words for the sense of touch that we've (almost) lost: e.g. "felth - the power of feeling in the fingers".

Moving into political territory, on Capitalism Bad; Tree Pretty, Maia reports on a New Zealand case in which three police officers were accused of raping an 18-year-woman. Again, it is not pretty reading; sorry. (I'm pointing there to one of the central posts, but it is well worth reading the whole succession, although it is a story we've no doubt heard the like of before. For a rape victim, the big problem, it seems, is to behave "properly".)

On Tired of Men, "a 20-something woman" finds that Canary Wharf in London (the new financial district) is a great place to find dinosaurs.

Finally, to finish on a cheery note, a post from Mom-101 on the Things I've Won in My Life, which reminds me of the "I Love My Computer" mug I won in an introduction to computers one-day course back when I was 20 (for writing a short "Basic" programme, if I recall correctly - which really does date me. There were these new things called computers, and I was about to buy my first one; it had twin floppy drives and no hard disk, for the record.


***

If you missed last week's edition, it is here.

***

Please: In the next week if you read, or write, a post by a woman blogger and think "that deserves a wider audience" (particularly someone who doesn't yet get many hits), drop a comment here. (Thanks to Jonathan and Maxine in particular this week.)

It really does make my life easier!

P.S. Yes it is Sunday. Sorry!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natalie, thank you for dropping by my blog and giving it a mention. That's so nice of you!

What a terrific blog YOU have. I'll be dropping by frequently.

(Maxine is amazing, isn't she? She knows where all the good blogs are!)

Lynne
AKA The Wicked Witch of Publishing
New York City & East Hampton, NY

4/09/2006 02:47:00 pm  
Blogger Mom101 said...

What a fantastic concept. Love it! I'm delighted to have warranted a mention--femme fatale is one moniker I never expected to have--but I'm more excited about reading the other posts on your list.

Cheers,
Liz (aka MOM101)

4/09/2006 06:30:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This might be a good candidate:
http://randomspeak.blogspot.com/2006/04/which-country-should-we-attack-next.html

4/13/2006 12:17:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home