Philobiblon: The A to Z of feminist blogging

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The A to Z of feminist blogging

The Carnival of Feminists No 7 has just been put up by Lauren on Feministe, and it is HUGE! Lauren has arranged it in an A to Z, starting with Abortion and ending with Videogames, via Burlesque, Consumer Culture, Dating, Poetry and much, much more. I'm particularly pleased to see a strong showing from women writing from a feminist perspective about comics and videogames - a newish area for the carnival.

It is another spectacular collection. I did a rough count and there are something like 75 posts there, and all the ones I've read (I'll get to them all eventually) have been brilliant.

Please help to spread the word ....!

The heft and quality of this edition makes me wonder if I should make the carnival weekly. The thought of the organisation makes me quail slightly, but ignoring the practical problems, which no doubt could be overcome, I see two ways of looking at this.

The main argument on the "go weekly" side is that it would allow the inclusion of a larger numbers of blogs without the length of the carnival getting impossible.

The main argument against is that perhaps familiarity breeds contempt. By keeping the twice monthly frequency, carnivals are still relatively unusual events that attract more notice. I'd welcome thoughts in the comments below, or by email.

Probably the other thing that I should try to do is build links with carnivals of related interest. I know that Jenn on Reappropriate (a former Carnival of Feminists host) has founded the Radical Women of Colour Carnival. (The deadline for submissions is January 31, and the call for submissions is up.)

Are there any others I should know about out there?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Related to that, I've just announced a "blog against sexism" day to be held in March.

1/18/2006 11:48:00 am  
Blogger Elayne said...

I'm happy to see so many comics posts up there; I rallied a number of female and feminist comics bloggers to submit their posts, and it looks like more than a few of them did!

1/18/2006 08:34:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the bi-weekly approach, myself. I feel like it indeed makes each carnival more of an event.

1/19/2006 03:30:00 pm  
Blogger Natalie Bennett said...

Thanks for doing that Elayne, and everyone else for the comments - all the feedback I'm getting is for twice- monthly and that is my own inclination, so I think I'll leave it that way for the moment.

1/21/2006 09:10:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home